The township of Van Buren contains a total of 23,
131.10 acres of land, or approximately 26.690 square miles. All of
this land was originally taken up by just 172 people. The first land
purchase in 1820 was made by Cabel Marsh, and the last was
made by Frederic Spawn, on October 30, 1838. Among those who
recieved a land patent were six women: Sarah Sterling,
Eliza Smith, Sally Kipp, Helen Ferguson and Mary McMath.
In 1831, township land patents issued were to
Henry Frain, Clark
Horner, Ira Merrill, Thomas Robinson, John Allen, William Crawford,
Daniel Douglass, Harvey Douglass, Abraham Soop, Scott Vining, George
Earing, John R. Farnsworth, Roswell Pratt, Charles Russell, Jeremiah
Nottingham, Chauncey L. Crouse, Benjamin Bearley, Samuel Baldwin
and David Dalrymple.
Henry L. Frain
came to Michigan from Seneca County, New York, and first settled in
Washtenaw County. Other family members settled and Frain's Lake
was named in their honor. Henry L. took up land on what is
now Tyler Street. Here he cleared the land and erected his
home; raising a family of 9 children. He was an active leader in
religious activities. Frain was born November 26, 1804, and
married Mary Ann Punches
was born in New York April 16, 1806. Their children were as
follows: George, Henry, Mary, Sallie, Michael, Priscilla, Louisa,
Samantha, and Maria.
The following year in 1833, the land grants were
issued to: Silas Carpenter, John Huffman,
Ephriam A. Shaw, Russel Hidges,
Michael Frain, Anson
Horner, Clement Loveder, Nelson Barnum,
Philip Reynolds, Richard Bugbee, Elias Vreelandt, Louis Stoflett,
Alfred Collins, Woodman W. Maxson, Nathaneil D. Atherton, John
Camburn, Arba Ash, Oliver Morton, William Jenkins , Alex Buchanan,
Simeon A. Dunn, George Jewett, Asahell Baxter, Charles Ferguson,
James McIntosh, John Buchanan, David Ferguson, Joseph Standry, John
Baxter, Richard Willets, Andrew Layton, Amos Willets, Andrew J.
Squire, Samuel Whittaker, Thomas McIntosh, Wilkinson Dean, Luther
Throop, Dexter Carlton, Henry A. Hubbard, Warren Smith, William
Atkinson, John Lickiss, Jehiel Burt, Ambrose Alexander, Able Craine,
and Thomas Robison.
Punches came to Michigan with her parents from Vora,
Ontario County, New York, at the age of 23. She located and
purchased 80 acres of her own, and later married
who had come here from Massachusetts in 1832.
married James Warren.
Henry Post settled on Tyler Street, and had family members
also marry into the Frain
and Hubbard familys.