Pontius Genealogy .com - The Pontius Research Repository

HomeDNA ProjectLineagesThe LibraryLinksQueriesContact

 

The Pontious Home - Noblesville, IN

From the Noblesville Daily Times

11-12-2007

Written by Carol Ann Schweikert

1384 Conner Street is a wood frame home built by George V. Pontious in the 1870s. The home is a side-gable L- plan with a full-width front porch and a small inset porch in the rear. The home has an off-center entrance beneath the porch and a small east side entry. Both have wood storm doors. The elevations have numerous windows in varying sizes, several with original wood screens.  A shallow dormer is centered in the front roofline. 

Photo by Steven Furlow
When Pontious constructed the home, the rear “L” was only one-story and the front porch probably had a very different appearance. The home’s brick foundation, consistent footprint on historic maps and tax values recorded in the county records strongly suggest the home was built much earlier and “updated” in the 1910s.  Although we can’t know for certain, its original style probably included Italianate or early Victorian architectural features. 

The home’s window configuration, concrete porch, west side chimney design and brick porch piers are representative of the Craftsman era, a much later architectural style. These elements are likely the result of a renovation in the 1910s. Those renovations enlarged the rear one-story “L” to 2-stories. The renovations also removed an east side bay, added the rear porch and replaced the original porch with the existing one.  

The original home on this lot was built by George V. Pontious (1845-1881), a hardware store merchant.

Pontious, whose health was declining, sold the home to John Kline in 1880. Kline, a native of Germany, worked as a sewing machine salesman and an upholsterer.  When they moved into this home, he and his wife Lydia had six children ranging in age from three months to 23 years. By 1900, the Kline family in this home included John and Lydia, a married son, his wife and their four children, as well as another grandson. 

William and Carrie Crawford purchased the home in 1912. William owned a plumbing and heating business in Noblesville and was likely responsible for the home’s dramatic renovations.  In 1918, he sold the home to its longest residents, Albert and Ruth Haas. Albert was the sixth child born to Moses and Caroline Haas.

When his father purchased Harry Levinson’s clothing store in 1905, Albert moved here to manage the store and later purchased it from his father.  The store remained a leading business establishment in Noblesville for many years. In addition to his thriving clothing business, Albert was active in several fraternal organizations and served on the board of directors for the American National Bank.  

Albert married Ruth Longley in 1916.  The couple moved into this home just two years later and lived here the remainder of their lives.  Their daughters, Caroline and Eleanor, had short walks to Noblesville High School located on the east side.  After Albert’s death in 1937, his widow remained in this home until her death in 1976, another thirty-nine years. 


The Pontious/Haas Home is a contributing part of the Conner Street Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. This area was honored by the Indiana Historic Bureau with bronze markers in 2003. This area, a mix of upper class and middle-class families, developed over a long period of time. Its significant growth spurt occurred in the 1890s with the influx of investments following the discovery of natural gas.

Carol Ann Schweikert
For the Daily Times